Friday, January 9, 2009

Sparky

Our dog Sparky( who is a 3 month solid black mutt) was hit by a car last night. We had to take him the emergency hospital. His underbelly was gashed open. HE LIVED!!! The doctor did a surgery overnight and stitched him up. Kyle picked him up the morning and we will have to pamper him all weekend.

Despite it being a difficult and heart-breaking situation, I am so proud of the way we handled it. Kyle wanted to shoot him when we found him. Don't be alarmed, all you animal lovers. This is just the way people handle things out here. I begged him to bring Sparky to the emergency clinic. Now when we get there we had some financial decisions to make. To put him down would be free. We are totally broke, so this was morbidly tempting. But we had to get a line a credit and then use money from our bank account, which has really left us with 20 dollars for two more weeks. HA.

I wanted to call my mom or someone else to help me make a decision. But, Kyle said..."No, we have to do this". So we cried and talked to Sparky. I told him if he stayed alive he has got an amazing dog life. Austin is full of "dog heavens". I told him Barton Springs, Town Lake, and the Greenbelt is just the start. Him and his sister Mabel Jo could go to Doggie Daycare together. He hasn't even met his cousins in San Marcos yet. Stella and Melvin would love to show him the San Marcos River. Precious is aching to make him go deaf.

I even told him he could sleep in the house on his very own bed if he stayed alive with no internal injuries.

So. With every bad thing comes a positive. I truly believe that. I am becoming more and more spiritual lately. I am broke and out of sorts. But, I feel rich and hopeful. I know that whatever "God" is, is out there and has a plan.

I found this quote yesterday - "A good marriage is that in which each appoints the other guardian of his solitude". - Rainer Maria Wilke.

This has massive amounts of meaning for us at the moment. This is what I need to strive for with Kyle and practice with no holds bar. I will be guardian of him, of how he is in his alone time. For in his alone time is who he truly is. I will guard his soul and his genuine nature. I will not have false expectations and make it about myself. I will always let him be himself, help him grow and be the person he wants to be. I will love because love is the greatest of all things.

2 comments:

danny bell said...

I'm proud of your decision. Stella & Melvin (ok, only Stella) can't wait to meet Sparky and introduce him the SM River. We all can't wait until you are "home"! xoxo Suzy

lins said...

Amen Sista! Keep on Keeping on.